Sunday, 29 January 2012

5 Tips on Mood Boards

At the moment I'm working on the branding for my shop that I plan to open later in the year (eeee!) and one of my favourite ways to focus my ideas is through a mood board. For me, it's so much easier to express a mood visually than through words, and sometimes I get a bit impatient with drawing (shock horror!) so a good old collage is perfect to get all my ideas down on paper. Here is my new shop mood board - my branding reform starting point!


I thought it might be fun to share my top mood board tips. I mean I'm no expert, but I have  been cutting and sticking since I was little (ask my Mum, who ever so patiently put up with little bits of paper and magazine scattered all over the house) so perhaps some of these might inspire some of you to go fetch the scissors and Pritt Stick! 

1. Become a hoarder! I keep pretty much ANYTHING: wrapping paper, stickers, magazine clippings, birthday cards, buttons, stuff I find on the street.... the list is endless. And although this can contribute to an extremely messy bedroom, you never know when that box of keeps might come in handy! 

2. Mix media... Sometimes it's nice to add to texture by using fabric or different weights of paper, but also you could draw, paint, print and sew into your collage to really bring it to life. 

3. Think Big! Don't go squeezing all those pretty things on to a tiny bit of paper - give your ideas space. I always find that the bigger the canvas, the braver decisions I make. 

4. Make an inspiration wall. Make sure you display your finished mood boards in your work space so that they inspire your future work. This way you can keep adding to it whenever you find something that fits the style you are looking for, so all your ideas are in one place. 

5. Use Technology - there are some great social media sites for image book marking. The most obvious of course being Pinterest where you can categorize your images into online mood boards - what did we ever do without it? Some other websites that I use regularly are: FFFFound, Flickr, Tumblr, Shuttercal and Getty Images. 

And that's it for my latest 5 Tips, hope you enjoyed them! 

x Rachel 

5 comments:

  1. I have pinterest but I need to start using it more. I like the idea of using a mood board for blog inspiration. Thanks for the tips on starting one :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very talented, and I am proud of you. I knew the years of mess were worth it. Love Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poxa pensei que era só eu, uma colecionadora de tudo que vc citou e mais algumas coisas, tenho varias caixas grandes e pequenas para armazenar tudo. Muito boa suas ideias.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...