Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Finding My Style


I'm trying this new thing at the moment. I think I spend too much time thinking about what I want to make instead of actually making things. I've become almost too conscious of doing everything in pursuit of developing a specific style and it's really inhibiting me creatively. My problem is that I'm kind of unsure of what my "style" actually is. Does anyone else have that problem? I find it so easy to recognise different styles that I am drawn to in other people's work, but with my own it all seems like a bit of a mish-mash at the moment... I think it's because I have such a clear vision of where I want to get to in the future with this blog and my career, that I want to run before I can crawl - I'm too impatient! 



So my new plan is just to stop thinking and start making! I'm going to start drawing things, making things and sewing things for fun again instead of trying too hard to brand myself. I'm going to try and create something every day - eeek scary I know! I'm not expecting a masterpiece every day, I'm definitely counting tiny doodles. It's just so I can keep practicing little by little and eventually find what I like making the most. 

I'll be documenting my progress through the blog, so if anyone would like to join in this little challenge I'd love to hear about it and see your results. Also if any of you have any tips on how you have developed your own styles, please share!

x Rachel 

2 comments:

  1. I always overthink things too- love these though, I have about 3 Moleskines and never use them for fear of spoiling them, silly really! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letting inspiration flow naturally is really hard for me too. I always compare the things I do with the things I love that others have done. I'm new to your blog but I can tell that you're very, very talented!! Just do what your heart tells you and I'm sure it will all work out :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...