Thursday, 20 September 2012

Pretty Pointless?


I've been sitting on this post for a while, and I think now is the time - around my blog birthday - to properly give it a go. I realised that I've never really explained the name of this blog. It originally started from a tongue in cheek joke about my taste in shopping. I would always say in defence of silly purchases that I just love things that have no point except to be pretty! Whenever we walked past a lovely shop or craft stall, Jake would tease me and say "Ooooh look at all the pointless pretty things in there!" etc etc and that's how the name was born. However, after a year of blogging, reading blogs and trying to "make it" in the arts industry, the name holds a lot more meaning to me now.

I've read posts on other blogs arguing the frivolity of just posting DIYs, fashion and pretty things... What difference do these things make in the real world? Are they even important? I've had similar thoughts about my career path. When you have best friends that are midwives and nurses it's hard not to wonder if following a career in the arts has an element of selfishness about it. When put next to bringing lives into the world on a daily basis, art seems pretty pointless. 

Obviously I don't really mean this at all. I don't need to go into a debate on why the world needs art - that's a little too much for a Thursday afternoon - it's been debated before and no doubt will be again. There is just something about finding beauty in the little things that can bring so much happiness. The details that get missed out in the spotlight but actually make a big difference in our lives. A DIY post isn't going to save the world, in the same way that a set design wont. But it might brighten someones day, and that's enough for me at the moment. 

x Rachel

3 comments:

  1. I think that bringing a smile to someone's face is really important! Sometimes blogging does seem a bit trivial, but at the end of the day - if it makes you happy and doesn't cause any harm then whats wrong with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I always say, everyone's sense of achievement is different, be it doing a heart transplant or creating a beautiful handmade trinket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog.
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...