Friday, 7 June 2013

My Shop Story So Far...

I’ve mentioned my shop dreams a few times here on the blog but I haven’t really gone into detail about my previous experiences, or why I want to open a shop in the first place. As you know, I am working up to the launch of my new shop at the end of this month, so I thought now would be the perfect time to share my journey so far…



I think I have always wanted to own a little shop in one form or another, and I have certainly always loved making things and sharing them with other people. My first attempt at my own business was when I was 17 and I set up an online shop called Laceflair (haha – I know) selling vintage and handmade jewellery. I learnt a lot about product photography and website design, but made barely any sales as I had no idea about promotion. Then I went to drama school and didn’t have time to keep the shop running so it fizzled out.

my old business card - hehe!

Even throughout my degree I was quietly plotting my next shop venture. I loved thinking about branding, taking product photos and creative business planning. My only problem was that I didn’t know what I wanted to sell – I didn’t have a niche. I was putting a lot of thought into what I wanted my shop to be like, with not enough thought into the actual products – a little backwards right?


My next proper dabble in the handmade marketplace was at Christmas when I sold at my first craft fair. Some regular readers may remember me sharing lots of plans and work in progress pictures… It was a busy and exciting time, working around the clock to make enough stock to fill up my stall while also keeping on top of my other design work and holding down a “pay the bills” job. I sold Christmas cards and decorations, advent calendars and various other seasonal pretty things, and the stock I didn’t sell at the fair I put up on to an Etsy shop.


After Christmas I took a little break from shop planning while my set design work was picking up. I have done a lot of theatre work, but designing a special wedding for my friends really made me realise that I want to continue my career in event design. I discovered that event design pulls together the two things that have been battling for my attention for so long: my freelance design work and my dreams of a shop… It was in designing the little decorations and details for the wedding that I thought – “I could sell these”. I feel that in designing decorations and props for parties, I have finally found my niche!

So that brings us up to date – I’m still very much in a state of flux, but very excited about what this next adventure might bring. After a lot of “back to the drawing board” moments and conflicting ideas, I have a really good feeling this one might stick.


Thanks for reading this wordier than usual post, and hope you will stick with me as I muddle my way through the next steps…

x Rachel 


8 comments:

  1. very cool story.
    I just opened my first shop and I am learning a lot about who I am and what my passions are. Luckily it's been a very very slow process for me so I am hoping that means this is truly my passion.. oh well we can change our minds though right?? haha

    please please share more posts like this or shop related. its really helpful to someone else starting out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat, I'll definitely be sharing more posts like this, I'm glad you found it interesting! I know what you mean, progress can seem so slow but like you I like to think that if we stick it out it must mean we really want to succeed! And we will!! :) .... looking forward to seeing your shop progressions too! xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story. It's great to follow your heart and dreams and do something you can be passionate about !
    Good luck with it all, and keep us posted. I would love to hear more about your journey.

    Lyndsay xx
    www.fizzypeaches.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I'm sure you'll get there. It's funny you say that because even in the time I've been reading your blog I've seen you become more and more focused. You'll get there with the shop- and when you do I'm sure it'll be fabulous!


    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh thank you Hannah, that means a lot! xxx

      Delete
  4. You have such a wonderful shop dear!
    All the best

    Corina
    www.cocorrina.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool :) looks like you're really focused about your shop. I bet when you figured out your niche everything just clicked right into place? I'm still waiting for that click lol, so happy you found it though :D i love your blog! New follower here >.< excited to spend a couple of hours tomorrow catching up! x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...